Monrovia Growers Job Description
A. Collect samples and run laboratory tests on water, soil, and plant tissue samples.
B Diagnose plant diseases and disorders and evaluate and improve preventative and curative treatments in the field.
C. Conduct research trials related to all aspects of nursery operations.
D. Lead, train, and assist other company craftsmen.
E. Administer the department according to Monrovia values.
F. Develop personal and professional skills through continual education, while effectively managing time.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Quality Control
1. Maintain and operate an analytical laboratory for testing water, soil, and plant tissue samples.
2. Write and distribute reports of quality control testing.
3. Manage the domestic water system of the nursery and ensure compliance with the State of California Department of Health Services.
4. Maintain accurate records and filing systems of quality control testing to meet business needs.
B. Plant Pathology
1. Diagnose plant diseases and disorders. Communicate with production personnel to understand production conditions and practices in order to accurately diagnose problems.
2. Write reports to communicate preventative and corrective recommendations for diagnosed disorders.
3. Maintain accurate records and filing systems of plant disorder diagnoses to meet business needs.
4. Evaluate and improve laboratory procedures associated with plant pathology to increase effectiveness and reduce laboratory cost.
1. Work with company management, Production personnel, and other Research Coaches in evaluating current and new plant production processes.
2. Plan and conduct research trials related to all aspects of nursery operations that will improve product quality, improve product readiness, or reduce production costs. Conduct trials according to generally accepted research protocols.
3. Write reports of research findings.
1. Train and assist other craftsmen in research duties, such as sample collection, sample preparation, data collection, data entry, research trial set-up and maintenance, and other activities associated with the Research Department.
2. Provide expertise and training to the Production Department in the form of teaching sessions and materials.
3. Make recommendations to company management with regard to staffing needs and performance.
1. Maintain accurate records and filing systems of research data to meet business needs.
2. Write and distribute reports of research findings in a timely manner.
3. Attend meetings as required.
4. Conduct all activities in accordance with company, state, and federal requirements, with a particular emphasis on safety.
5. Effectively maintain laboratory inventory and equipment. Maintain a clean and safe laboratory work environment.
F. Personal Growth
1. Develop a career plan in conjunction with Research.
2. Effectively manage professional time.
3. Develop a personal education plan.
SUPERVISION TO BE EXERCISED:
Directly responsible for craftsmen assisting in the Research Department.
SUPERVISION TO BE RECEIVED:
Under the direct supervision of the VP of Operations.
- Minimum B.S. in Plant Science or related field.
Two years experience working in a agricultural laboratory including analytical chemistry, plant pathology, and plant and soil science
Knowledge and ability to conduct research trials using basic statistical analysis.
Excellent organizational and communication skills.
Proficient in Microsoft Office and Excel.
Basic knowledge of the nursery industry is highly desirable.
Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus.