We are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral research scientist to conduct plant pathology research related to rice kernel diseases and their management. This position will focus on original research to understand the pathogenic and beneficial populations of fungal and bacterial organisms in rice kernels and explore the potential use of beneficial endophytes for management of rice diseases. Starting salary will be commensurate with experience and include an excellent benefit package. This position is available immediately but starting date negotiable. This position will be initially for two years, with opportunity of renewal based on the performance of work and availability of funds.
· Isolate and identify fungal and bacterial microbes using traditional and molecular approaches
· Culture and maintain microbial isolates
· Able to conduct research in the lab, greenhouse and field settings
· Design studies, collect data, perform statistical analysis, write reports, present findings at meetings, and publish research results in peer-reviewed journals with minimal supervision
· May assist in preparing and writing grant proposals
· Perform other duties that may be assigned
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions.
· Ph.D. in plant pathology, or closely related field.
· Experience with isolation and identification of microbes and biocontrol of plant pathogens
· Familiarity with molecular tools that aid identifying fungal and bacterial organisms
· Work experience with field research experiments being a plus
· Strong record of publication in peer-reviewed journals
· Preferred: Prior experience with microbial endophytes and biocontrol
· Preferred: Familiarity with rice or other field crops but not required
· Knowledge with field experiment statistics and use of software for statistical analysis (e. g.: SAS)
· Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
· Work independently and efficiently
· Ability to multi task and work cooperatively with others
· Cover Letter
· CV or Resume
· List of Three References (Name, , Organization, Email, and Phone)
Must submit application materials at https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/AgriLife_Research_External/job/Beaumont-AL-RSCH/Postdoctoral-Research-Scientist_R-013287