FMC Global Development Biology, Research & Development is looking for a highly-motivated individual to work in our Nematicide Group in our Stine Research Center, Newark, DE. The successful candidate will conduct research laboratory activities in support of research and development with guidance from a Senior Research Scientist. Working in an interdisciplinary team environment, the successful candidate will identify and suggest improvements in methods, plan projects of limited duration and scope, and troubleshoot experiments when erroneous or unexpected results occur. Responsibilities will also include utilizing a variety of techniques, effectively documenting findings and communicating results produced from research experiments and/or information/data management.Responsibilities
- Conduct laboratory, greenhouse and field research safely, in compliance with all FMC and governmental regulations. Support all safety and compliance initiatives.
- Maintain plant parasitic nematode cultures in vitro and in greenhouse and provide high quality inoculum according to agreed testing schedules.
- Monitor and maintain the health of plants in growth chambers, greenhouse and at the experimental farm (watering, routine pest scouting etc.).
- Assist in evaluation, characterization and development of new product ventures and technologies including biological solutions and synthetic chemistries for nematode management.
- Conduct, analyze and report laboratory and greenhouse bioassays to evaluate nematicide leads.
- Assist in development of new assays designed to support development of formulation, mode of action studies, provide data required for regulatory studies and data needed for marketing materials.
- Conduct microplot experiments in the local field research station and provide reports in timely manner (lab field translation, support global field trail initiatives).
- Perform CFU enumeration for biological samples as needed.
- Maintain high quality records and provide reports/materials in a timely manner.
- Work in a fast-paced R&D environment.
BS or MS in Nematology, Plant Pathology, Entomology or related discipline with 1+ years relevant experience in research, field development or commercialization of agricultural products.Qualifications
- Unparalleled commitment to safety - safe driving practices, chemical handling and use of equipment, understanding and appreciation of laboratory, greenhouse and experimental field station safety practices.
Basic knowledge of plant parasitic nematodes (nematode identification, nematode extraction techniques form plants and soil, nematode management strategies).
Hands-on lab and greenhouse experience or field research experience. Experience in field plot techniques and statistical analysis of data is a plus.
Basic microbiology experience (aseptic techniques, plating, CFU enumeration) or experience working with microbial pesticides is a plus.
Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
Excellent communication skills, collaborative, goal-oriented, hard-working
Commercial state pesticide application license required or can be obtained post-employment
Ability to lift up to 25/30 lbs . with help or independently occasionally.
Must also be willing to perform routine work including extensive use of microscope, root washing, soil processing etc.
Commitment to continuously learning
FMC employees enjoy competitive compensation, a menu of work/life benefits and opportunities to continue developing their skills and building their career. FMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, gender, disability or protected veteran status. FMC supports a drug-free workplace.