FMC Agricultural Solutions is looking for a Scientist in the Fungicide Discovery Biology group at our Stine Research Center in Newark, Delaware. The mission of the Fungicide Discovery Group is to discover new fungicide active ingredients qualified for commercial development. The Research Investigator provides strong technical leadership to the fungicide discovery process. He/She leads a team of scientists that generate extensive biological results through a series of tiered screens and special tests, interprets and reports the results and works closely with synthesis chemists, biochemists and environmental scientists in a team environment to optimize lead area chemistry. He/she also manages technical projects to characterize advanced areas of chemistry and coordinates with other professionals across varying disciplines and support personnel to accomplish objectives. Excellent problem solving skills are required to overcome He/she defines the scientific approach to technical challenges, and develops and tests hypotheses to lead projects to logical conclusions. Excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills are required to drive complex discovery projects forward. The successful Research Investigator should have a good understanding of current and evolving disease control practices in multiple crops and some knowledge of current fungicide modes of action and attributes. Experience assessing disease control methods in field, greenhouse and/or growth chamber bioassays is required. This position calls for active networking with FMC regional field development specialists and marketing teams as well as strong interactions with the university researchers so experience leading/working with large interdisciplinary teams is desired.
Required Education: Qualified candidates will have a Ph.D. in a relevant scientific area such as Plant Pathology with 4-5 years’ experience.
- Experience in developing research programs which are technically complex, integrate novel approaches and solve real-world problems in agriculture
- Experience in operating in an unstructured environment and the demonstrated ability to drive multiple, complex projects forward in a timely fashion
- Skills in data management, modeling, and/or visualization and interpretation of large data sets
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective networks to accomplish work
- Experience in working as an individual and as an effective team player
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strict observance and adherence to required and approved safety procedures
- Experience in effectively supervising and mentoring others is desired
- Familiarity with organic chemistry nomenclature and physical properties, agrichemical site of action and/or molecular plant pathology are strong positives